"You have just passed through the Cloak of Concealment and into the magical realm…"

The Irish 1 – The Vikings 0; Was Brian Boru a Benevolent High King or Terrible Tyrant?

Image

Battle of Clontarf, Wikipedia

Well, it’s Good Friday, and I couldn’t let the day go by without mentioning the Battle of Clontarf, now, could I? The chances are, if you live in Ireland, you’ll be sick of hearing about it by now. But for all those of you who live beyond these vibrant shores, pin back your lugs and listen up, for this is no fanciful fairytale, you know; Brian Boru was a bone fide historical High King of Ireland, and the tale of the Battle of Clontarf is all about power struggle, the cut and thrust of sword and politics, betrayal and treachery, love and lust… oh yes, in bucket-loads!

Contrary to popular belief, Brian did not drive the marauding Vikings from Ireland. The Norsemen and Danes had been arriving in Ireland since the late 8th century, long before Brian Boru was born, at first raiding and pillaging, as was their wont. But by the mid 9th century, their temporary encampments had become more permanent fortresses, which in the future would grow  into the cities we know today as Dublin, Limerick, Waterford, Wexford and Cork. So the Vikings, who were great craftsmen, established their towns, set up trade, inter-married, adopted Irish customs, speech and dress, and were to all intents and purposes, assimilated into Irish culture.

Image

Brian Boru

So who was Brian Boru?

Brian was one of twelve sons of Cennétig mac Lorcáin, who was a minor King in the north of Munster province. When he died in 951, power passed to Mathgamain, Brian’s older brother. Not content with his small kingdom, Mathgamain set his sights further afield, finally capturing the Rock of Cashel in 964, thus seizing power over the whole of Munster (yep, definitely a bit of a tyrant in there, somewhere!). Unfortunately, he was killed soon after by Máel Muad mac Briain, whereupon Brian Boru assumed his brother’s place.

When Brian eventually gained control of Leinster province in 996, the then High King Máel Sechnaill mac Domnall seemed to recognise that this upstart might just be unstoppable. He made a treaty with Brian, allowing him to keep the south, whilst he himself retained the North.

Image

Me looking at a model of Viking Dublin at the National Museum of Archaeology, Dublin.

Meanwhile, the Leinstermen were planning a rebellion against Brian, led by Máel Morda mac Murchada, whom they declared as their new King. They soon joined forces with Sitric Silkenbeard, who was Morda’s cousin and Viking King of the city of Dublin. The Battle of Gleann Máma in 999 was a fierce and bloody skirmish, in which Brian was victorious. Perhaps surprisingly for a man who had his eyes firmly fixed on the bigger picture, he attempted to ally himself with Silkenbeard, allowing him to keep his Kingship of Dublin, and marrying him to one of his daughters (what happened to the terrible tyrant? At this point, he seems more like a benevolent and wise King to me.).  At the same time, he took Gormflaith, who was Silkenbeard’s mother and Morda’s sister, to be his wife. Gormflaith had also been married to Sechnaill, the previous High King. She obviously had a bit of a thing for all-powerful husbands… It should be noted at this point, that Brian himself had four wives during his life time (well, there’s the lust and power, then.).

In 1002, Sechnaill finally backed down and surrendered to Brian, who then became High King. It took another ten years of battle campaigns, however, before the Ulstermen recognised and accepted his claim to the throne.

Image

Clontarf Castle

But what about the Battle of Clontarf?

Hold on, I’m getting to that.

In 1012, that pesky trouble-maker, Morda, rebelled against Brian for the second time. He gained support from one of the lesser Kings of Ulster, but whilst the rest did not fully support Brian, they weren’t keen to bear arms against him, either. They’d been there before, remember, and where did it get them? Poor Morda was forced to hire mercenaries from amongst his Viking brethren settled on Orkney and the Isle of Man. But they weren’t joining the war for love, loyalty or politics, oh no! They were after loot, plain and simple. They landed in Ireland a few days before Easter in the year 1014.

As his great army rode to meet them, Brian confidently sent out contingents of warriors under the command of his sons to raid, plunder and burn all Viking settlements along the way (seems like that tyrant thing must be in the blood!). Battle commenced outside the city at Clontarf, which is now a Dublin suburb. It is said the battle raged fiercely all day and half the night, that the men were unable to throw their spears because the air was so dense with the flying hair of those cut down; that no man recognised even his own son except by his voice, for they were so covered in blood.

Although the Viking horde were fierce and brave, they were no match for the Irishmen. Despite his great victory, Brian Boru was tragically killed that very night. It is unlikely that he went into battle himself, as he would have been very old by this time; the Annals, Ireland’s ancient records, explain that he was somewhere between 76 and 88 years old. One legend claims he was murdered in his tent while he prayed, by one of the escaping Viking renegades named Bródar.

The truth cannot now be known. But it’s that little breath of mystery and intrigue which lends just a touch of legendary Sidhe magic to even Ireland’s known historical leaders; which keeps the story alive, and has people all over Ireland celebrating Brian Boru and the Battle of Clontarf a thousand years later.

St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh - Wikipedia.

St Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh – Wikipedia.

Brian Boru’s body was carried to the city of Armagh, where he is said to have been interred in a tomb which lies beneath the walls of St Patrick’s Cathedral.

Love history. Love mythology. LOVE Ireland!

And by the way, Happy Easter everybody!

About these ads

17 responses

1. Great post Ali, Did you get down to the re-enactment over the weekend?

Liked by 1 person

April 20, 2014 at 11:00 pm

• No Ed did you? Would have loved to but big crowds just arent my thing.

April 20, 2014 at 11:35 pm

• I sure did, the crowds were ridiculous. But I managed to get some shots, should have them up later today 😄

Liked by 1 person

April 21, 2014 at 7:09 am

• Knew you’d be there! Cant wait to see your pics! I saw some video, it looked fab! And those re-enactment guys set up a village that they were actually living in for the duration, I believe…isnt that wonderful?

April 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

• You got it….. That was my life before kids, we used to do a lot of shows over in England. Camp fires sweat and cold Steele, oh it really brought back some memories😃

April 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

• Happy days! Sounds like you were a fhéinni in a previous life lol!

Liked by 1 person

April 21, 2014 at 11:03 am

• Btw I did a bit of fencing bc myself! Not quite the same thing but I loved it!

April 21, 2014 at 11:04 am

• Hey sorry for my ignorance but what’s the reinactment about? It sounds super fun1 Was it a reinactment of Easter or something else entirely? I don’t like big crowds on my own, but can manage happily in a group…and sometimes if I really want to go somewhere, like a Celtic music festival, I just show up and introduce myself to a friendly looking group who I can be a part of the rest of the day. :-) It’s always worked for me.

April 21, 2014 at 7:40 pm

• Hi Eilish! A group pf people from all over the world got together to re-enact the battle of Clontarf in Dublin. It was a big family weekend, with lots going on.; there was a medieval village full of people carrying out medieval crafts, as well as more contemporary stuff, like funfairs. They were expecting 40, 000 visitors, but I believe they got more than that just on the first day alone. You would have loved it!

April 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

• WordPress posted my comment before I was done with it. Here goes, the version in which I know how to spell. :-) Hey sorry for my ignorance but what’s the reenactment about? It sounds super fun! Was it a reenactment of Easter or something else entirely? I don’t like
              introduce myself to a friendly looking group who I can be a part of the rest of the day. :-) That takes up a lot of my energy though so I have to be up for it, which isn’t always the case.

April 21, 2014 at 7:48 pm

• Ah…the joys of WP. I don’t care too much about spelling mistakes when the words are full of enthusiasm, so don’t worry about it. Sometimes my fingers fly over the keys so fast, I swear there should be smoke, lol! And only ever discover the mistakes afterwards! I got trapped in a crowd once at a music festival when I was about 18, and nearly fainted, had to get dragged out by a big burly bouncer lol! Learnt my lesson, at any rate…I’m more wary now, but it’s not me I’m concerned about. have you ever been in a large crowd pushing a wheelchair or buggy? It’s really scary, I don’t like it, and it’s no fun for Carys, she can’t see anything, and bodies pressing in all around isn’t nice, especially as they get bumped by her wheels, and then look at me as if I’m at fault and did it on purpose, lol! Yeah, best to avoid it, but I feel a bit guilty when I think how excited my boys got looking at the Viking swords in the museum last summer. It’s just not easy getting her minded at key holiday times.

April 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

• Ah right, I ought to have guessed! Oh my goodness that’s a lot of people! Yes I would have loved to be there… if I had a group to attend with ahead of time that is. :-) I can totally understand how it must be frustrating trying to do things as a family and your boys having such different needs/abilities/interests than Carys. I have not tried pushing anything of significance through a crowd, in fact. It would have to be one-handed, for one, because I’m attached to Allegro, and then again he’s trained to walk me around what’s in front of me, so you can imagine how that could become quickly a logistical blunder. It may bet easier you know when your boys are older. Once they can mind Carys and each other, at least some of the things that seem too hard to pull off now will be feasible, at least I think so. I have no children, so I am purely hypothesizing at the moment. I do really empathize.

April 23, 2014 at 9:48 pm

2. I loved reading your post, Ali. Happy Easter to you!

April 20, 2014 at 3:57 am

• Thanks Eilish! Enjoy your Easter too!

April 20, 2014 at 9:57 am

3. Wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing. Happy Easter and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

April 19, 2014 at 5:21 pm

• Glad you enjoyed it Linda and thank you for taking the time to tell me! Ali

April 19, 2014 at 7:09 pm

• And Happy Easter to you too!

April 19, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Got something to say? Go on, make my day!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,313 other followers